Electrical and Computer Engineering

International Students

UHIP - University Health Insurance Plan:

Medical insurance is required during your study at Queen's University, this would also include any dependants who accompany you. This is the case for all international students who study in universities in Ontario. You will need to enroll in the UHIP program before you begin the pre-registration process for your graduate program of study, by contacting the International Centre. Once you have arrived you will need to go to the International Centre and pay for your UHIP. This will have to be done before you complete the registration process. Please check out the International Centre's website for further details on the program.

SIN Card - Social Insurance Number:

If you are to be funded by the Department and a faculty member you will require a Social Insurance Number to receive a monthly payment for your tuition and living expenses. You can apply for this number by filling out an application and submitting it to the Human Resources Development Canada office in Kingston. Without this card the university will not be able to make any payments to you. To obtain the application form, request it from the International Centre in the John Deutsch University Student Centre or pick it up at the Human Resources Development Office. The social insurance number will have an expiry date which coincides with the expiry date of your student visa. This will mean that throughout your studies you will need to apply for an extension of the deadline in order to continue to receive payment. When applying for the number you will be required to show a valid passport, valid immigration documents (e.g. Student Visa), and a letter from the Department.

Queen's University International Centre:

The International Centre located in the John Deutsch University Student Centre is a wonderful resource and home away from home! It provides support and services to international students and through activities promotes an internationally informed and cross-culturally sensitive learning environment. They assist in building community among students and with our colleagues at Queen's. They engage in research, professional development and training activities with the broader community of international educators across Canada and around the world. Check out their website

Visit their lounge and relax in their comfortable setting, and meet people from other countries and play some ping pong!

Take part in the International Student Orientation Program in the first week of September. Check out the orientation website to get more details on the schedule. Please also note that the International Centre will have extended hours from August 30, 2010 to September 12, 2010, they will be open from 8:30 am to 11:00 pm Monday to Friday, 1:00 pm to 11:00 pm Saturday and Sunday, waiting to welcome new international students.